Middle eastern music spans across a vast region, from Morocco to Iran. Greek Music Influenced Middle Eastern Music. Middle Eastern music influenced India, as well as Central Asia and Spain. The various nations of the region include the Arabic-speaking countries of the Middle East and North Africa, the Iraqi traditions of Mesopotamia, Iranian traditions of Persia, the Hebrew music of Israel, Armenian music, the varied traditions of Cypriot music, the music of Turkey, traditional Assyrian music, Berbers of North Africa, and Coptic Christians in Egypt all maintain their own traditions.
Throughout the region, religion has been a common factor in uniting peoples of different languages, cultures and nations. The predominance of Islam allowed a great deal of Arabic and Byzantine influence to spread through the region rapidly from the 7th century onward. The Arabic scale is strongly melodic, based around various maqamat (sing. maqam) or modes (also known as makam in Turkish music). Arabs translated and developed Greek texts and works of music and mastered the musical theory of the music of ancient Greece (i.e. Systema ametabolon, enharmonium, chromatikon, diatonon). This is similar to the dastgah of Persian music. While this originates with classical music, the modal system has filtered down into folk, liturgical and even popular music, with influence from the West. Unlike much western music, Arabic music includes quarter tones halfway between notes, often through the use of stringed instruments (like the oud) or the human voice. Further distinguishing characteristics of Middle Eastern and North African music include very complex rhythmic structures, generally tense vocal tone, and a monophonic texture.
Often, more traditional Middle Eastern music can last from one to three hours in length, building up to anxiously awaited, and much applauded climaxes, or tarab, derived from the Arabic term طرب tarraba.
- ► 2015 (130)
- (공감글)미국내 동양인, 흑인들 역겨운점 소수 인종의 역겨운점
- filipino look a little more north east asian looki...
- arab music is from greek music
- Arabs don't like the fact that Arabian Music is fr...
- 아랍음악은 그리스음악에서 베껴온 음악이다.
- fayum art is greek custom
- ancient greeks and romans all preffered black eyes...
- Ancient Roman historian tacitus wrote that iberian...
- Albanian is Greek
- this is what lier nordicists want to believe about...
- ancient roman see iberian as light as wales
- ancient iberians have blonde and red hair accordin...
- Turkish and Arab music and foods are from Greece
- when quake live stuck at still awaiting challenge,...
- 객가족 한족은 동남아시아에 진출했다.
- Fayum Arts depict Greek ancestors.
- 미국은 독일 과학자때문에 과학이 발전하였다.
- ▼ December (17)
- ► 2013 (678)
- ► 2012 (1516)
- ► 2011 (1293)